Licensing applications are required for many different types of entertainment and such applications can often be as contentious as applications for alcohol licences. Some entertainment is now deregulated, and it is important to make an early assessment as to what is needed, what is exempt and what needs to be licensed. Whether the application is for a major music festival or simply to add an entertainment activity to your licence, the application will always be closely looked at by the local Environmental Health Officers and also in many cases by local residents. It is necessary to carefully consider how the application is made and in some cases to liaise with the Environmental Health Officers prior to submitting an application, so as to include in your application the steps you intend to take to promote the licensing objectives, so as to ensure that public nuisance is prevented and public safety is paramount.

Our team has considerable experience in taking instructions for all aspects of applications for entertainment events. We will often liaise with Local Authorities in some detail before submitting applications, to ensure that the licences are granted as quickly as possible. We have a range of consultants who we can rely on to undertake acoustic assessment reports and to assess whether particular premises will or are causing a noise disturbance to residents.

We have also worked closely with clients who have been issued with Noise Abatement Notices and who have received warning letters from the various Authorities about disturbances caused by entertainment licences and would be happy to help and advise in these situations.

We have also represented and advised the famous London nightclubs fabric, Ministry of Sound, Printworks and Drumsheds as well as representing a number of festivals.

We have also been successful representing the Askern Music festival in settling an appeal against the grant of a premises licence for the festival in 2023.

Chris Rees-Gay has represented Mint Festival against the opposition of various agencies for the expansion of the music festival in North Yorkshire.

There are considerable challenges in licensing outside spaces and the Woods Whur team have experience of the strategies needed to ensure the process of licensing these spaces moves smoothly.